Friday, October 23, 2009

My Favorite Kitchen Washcloth


I've been knitting washcloths like crazy lately. In the kitchen drawer there are many to choose from but my hand always searched for my favorite one - the small, scrubby one.  Alas there were none....they don't last forever (I know even hemp will finally give in).
So I sat down and started to knit a replacement which soon turned into 3,4,5 cloths. These are quick to knit because they are quite small, about 6-7" square. I like the little bumps on them making them perfect little scrubbers.

So my little gift to you - an easy pattern for the FAVORITE SCRUBBY


YARN: 1 Skein #102 allhemp6 or #102L allhemp6LUX- each cloth is approx 30gr (1 oz). You should beable to get 3 cloths from each 100gr skein. A great use for those little bits of yarn leftover from your hemp project.
NEEDLES: 4mm(6US) or something close.
GAUGE: It's a washcloth so it really doesn't matter so much about gauge. The cloth knit in this pattern grows a bit width-wise that's why I have you knit it longer so it will be somewhat square after a few washings.

CO 35 sts.
Rows 1-4: Sl1 st with yarn in front (wyif), knit to end.
Row 5: Sl1 wyif, k1, [k3, sl1 with yarn in back (wyib)] rep to last 5 sts, k5.
Row 6: Sl1 wyif, k1, [k3, sl1 wyif)] rep to last 5 sts, k5.
Row 7: Sl1 wyif, k2, [sl1 wyib, k3] rep to last 4 sts, sl1 wyib, k3.
Row 8: Sl1 wyif, k2, [sl1 wyif, k3] rep to last 4 sts, sl1 wyif, k3.
Next: Rep rows 5-8 until work measures approx 6 1/2".
Next: Rep rows 1-4.
BO and weave in ends.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on starting your new blog-- I look forward to your patterns.

    ReplyDelete